Sunday, January 24, 2010

Ode' To Harvest Gold and Mom








As we begin to get closer to February I begin to think of my Mom and her birthday. For most people February 14th means Valentine's Day but growing up in my family it meant Mom's birthday. My Mother survived personal tragedy, an orphanage, the Great Depression, World War II, my Father, 4 children, rebellious teenagers, college tuition, a son in Viet Nam, a recession, retirement and grandchildren. Through it all she cooked for us. I have just a few things from her kitchen. Each one a memory, a story. I use each and every one of these items, still. I treasure them for their stories. Harvest gold may not fit into today's modern stainless steel kitchen but I keep them as a reminder of the days I learned to cook as a child with my Mother's guidance.

This Valentine's Day I will make one of her recipes compiled in our family cookbook, Orange Juice Cake. It's not from scratch but it's a recipe born of the 70's for the modern housewife.

1 box Lemon Pudding Cake Mix
4 eggs
3/4 cup oil
1 can coconut (this will not go over well with my hubby & sons)
  • Beat above ingredients together about 4 minutes.
  • Pour into ungreased 12x14x1 1/2" pan.
  • When cake is done poke holes in the top with meat fork.
  • Pour glaze over cake while warm.
Glaze: 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 cup oil, 1/3 cup orange juice

Beat until well mixed!

Serves 12-16

I purchased this harvest gold mixer at a garage sale 2 summers ago. I needed a mixer and the color reminded me of my Mom. I found the owner and asked if it worked. She told me she was downsizing and moving in with her daughter and their family. She shared that the mixer had made many batches of mashed potatoes since the early 70's when it was purchased. Her daughter came over and said the mixer was out for every holiday and worked just as good as it did when it was new. So for $10.00 I purchased this mixer. As I reached out to take the mixer from the owner she paused. How many memories where attached to this mixer? I assured her that many more batches of mashed potatoes would be made using this mixer. She smiled and said "thank you".

No comments:

Post a Comment